Palmer House is the official University guest house available for catering to all full‐time faculty and staff of Princeton University. As a Princeton University employee you are eligible to reserve space(s) at Palmer House without a facility fee.
Princeton University alumni and graduate students can apply for approval to use Palmer House for a personal or family event with a Facility Fee payable to Princeton University.
Please call the Palmer House Catering Department at 609.258.3715 to obtain additional details or schedule an appointment. Site tours are by appointment Monday through Friday during business hours. The weekends and evenings are generally occupied with events that require our undivided attention. However, on occasions, we are able to accommodate appointments outside of business hours.
Non University, not‐for‐profit organizations who are interested in using Princeton University facilities, inclusive of Palmer House, must call the Princeton University Office of Conference and Event Services at 609.258.6115.
When you are ready to book your event at Palmer House, you will need the information below in order to proceed.
- User Name (person affiliated with Princeton University):
- User Address:
- User Phone Number(s):
- User Email:
- Designee (person who is also permitted to make decisions):
- Designee Address:
- Designee Phone Number(s):
- Designee Email:
- Preferred Date of Event:
- Start Time of Event:
- Estimated Guest Count:
There are two contracts that need to be completed. You will receive an email with the contracts from a representative at University Services. Upon issuance, you will have 21 days to review, sign and return the contracts with the appropriate payments.
Palmer House is handicapped accessible. If wheelchair accessibility is required, please let a catering representative know.
If your event will have music and entertainment, limited to light music, it must be approved by the catering representative. All of the catering, details and event management are handled by Restaurant Associates, the exclusive caterer for Palmer House.
Ceremonies may be performed on the grounds of Palmer House. All events at Palmer House must end by 10 pm to be respectful to our overnight guests.
Vendors have two hours access prior to the Palmer House event time. Additional time may be arranged with the Catering Department, additional charges may apply.
The social events a La Carte Menus provide wonderful options for brunch, receptions and dinner. The menus purchased allot you the amount of time in the house. Reception menus allot one hour and brunch and dinner menus allot three hours.
Additional fees include staffing, 15% Administrative Fee, Sales Tax, TULIP insurance and any rental items you may choose to add. Additional time in the house may be purchased, should you wish to extend the time of your event beyond the menu allotted time.
Palmer House will happily accommodate special menu requests due to preference or dietary restrictions. Please ask your catering representative for suggestions on customizing your menu. Customized menus may result in additional charges.
Weddings and social events are planned directly with a catering representative with choices made from a specially-designed social event package plan. The plan includes:
- Use of Palmer House for a four-hour time slot
- A one-hour cocktail reception with six (6) passed hors d’oeuvres, two (2) specialty stations, bar snacks and a non-alcoholic beverage arrangement including standard cocktail mixers and garnishes.
- Dinner Service: Three (3)-course plated dinner. Choice of one starter, choice of one soup or salad, choice of one entrée
- Standard wedding or special occasion cake
- Customized floor plans
- On-site event manager
- Round tables with white or ivory floor-length linens
- Special surprise for guests on their way out
- Parking on-site
- Recommendation list for event planner, florist, band, D.J., photographer, videographer and transportation services
- Coordination of rentals and equipment such as tent on terrace, furniture, special linen, etc. additional charges may apply
- Complimentary Tasting for Two (2) to attend Annual Wedding and Social Event Tasting Event held in March
- 15% discount on food and non alcoholic beverages for a rehearsal dinner or post event brunch occurring within the same weekend, hosted at Prospect House, the faculty and staff club, when a social event package is purchased at Palmer House
The prices per person are based on entrée selection. Additional fees include staffing, 15% Administrative Fee, Sales Tax, TULIP insurance and any rental items you may choose to add. Additional time in the house may be purchased should you wish to extend the time of your event beyond the menu allotted time.
In addition to the deposits and facility rental fee (if applicable) which the User is required to pay, the payment schedule is as follows:
• $300.00 Deposit required at time of booking
• Balance and guaranteed guest counts due ten (10) business days prior to the event.
Deposits and payments may be made via major credit card or personal check. All payments associated with this contract, exclusive of the facility rental fee, should be made payable to Restaurant Associates. Declined credit cards or checks returned due to insufficient or unavailable funds may result either in the cancellation of the Event, or require payment via certified check or money order prior to the event. In addition, there is a $50 fee on any returned check.
Any outside group/personal event wishing to have full access to Palmer House on a Saturday or Sunday would be required to meet the $1,000 F&B. (not including, rentals, staffing charges, administrative fees or tax). This will allow the user sole use of Palmer House and no other events will be booked at the same time.
Monday‐Friday after 5:00pm any outside group / personal event wishing to use a portion of Palmer House requires a $1,000 Food and Beverage minimum (not including, rentals, staffing charges, administrative fees or tax).
All events are subject to an administrative fee of 15% of your total bill. The administrative fee is a fee for the oversight and management of the event.
Staffing charges are based on the menu type, guest count and the number of staff to successfully execute your event. The staffing fee schedule is as follows:
- Captain: $40 per hour, five minimum parties 50 or more.
- Bartender: $32 per hour, duration of event
- Butler: $30 per hour, five‐hour minimum
- Executive Chef: $40 per hour, duration of event, parties 50 or more.
- Culinary Cooks, Exhibition Chef and Station Attendant: $30 per hour, duration of event
- Pantry: $30 per hour, five‐hour minimum
Due to the historic significance of Palmer House, its furnishings and grounds, great efforts are taken to preserve the house and its surroundings. Event sponsors will be responsible for any damages that are the result of willful and negligent behavior on the part of their guests. Event sponsors are responsible to collect all belongings at the end of their affair. Palmer House is not responsible for lost, stolen or items left behind.
Due to local health code restrictions, under no circumstances are clients allowed to bring food in or take remaining food to go. Palmer House is a smoke‐free facility.
The following materials are strictly prohibited at Palmer House and on all Princeton
- Rice, rose petals & bird seed
- Taper Candles (any other candles must be enclosed by glass)
- Confetti & glitter
- Smoke machines & dry ice
- Sparklers or fireworks of any kind
- Items affixed to walls
- Pets (inside only, unless official guide or therapy dog)
Palmer House does not hold a liquor license. Any alcohol for events must be purchased through an outside supplier.
Princeton University requires for Prospect House and Palmer House events held by individual faculty, staff, or alumni that each event sponsor have a general liability insurance policy ("event coverage") to protect the event sponsor and Princeton University against claims by third parties who may be injured while participating in the event on the Princeton University ncampus. Additionally, if alcohol will be served during the event, alcohol liability coverage is also required.
The University has made available to each individual event sponsor a “Tenants and Users Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP)”, inclusive of Terrorism Risk insurance (TRIA), which is low in cost. The Catering Manager will provide further details as part of the event planning process and arrange for coverage to be purchased.